A famous model and actress in Paraguay, Riquelme rose to international prominence during the 2010 FIFA World Cup. A supporter of both the Paraguay national football team and the club Cerro Porteño, she was first pictured in international media celebrating a goal during the game between Paraguay and Slovakia with her Nokia mobile phone between her breasts and she was wearing a T-shirt with Paraguay's colors (as part of a promotion for a mobile phone company). Riquelme is the face of the deodorant brand Axe in Paraguay and at a later Paraguay game in the World Cup she was also seen with the word "Axe" written on her chest as advertising for the deodorant brand.
After becoming one of the most searched people on the Internet, she was named "World Cup's Girlfriend" by Marca, the largest Spanish sports newspaper. She was also described as the most famous fan of the World Cup.
Following her rise to fame, and after Argentinian coach Diego Maradona promised to run naked through Buenos Aires if Argentina won the 2010 World Cup, Riquelme matched the offer and promised that she would run naked (wearing only body paint in the colors of Paraguay) through Asunción if Paraguay won the World Cup, or even if they reached the semi-finals by beating Spain. Paraguay eventually lost its match against Spain, but Riquelme announced that she would fulfill her promise anyway, a promise that she kept. That same year, Riquelme did a nude pictorial for the September 2010 issue of Playboy Brazil.
- "Musa da Copa, Larissa Riquelme é a modelo mais bem paga do Paraguai". O Globo. globo.com. 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Peck, Brooks (2010-06-30). "Larissa Riquelme is incredibly popular for some reason". Dirty Tackle. Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Homepage of Axe in Paraguay". Axe Paraguay. axe.compy. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Lingerie model Larissa Riquelme to strip naked despite Paraguay defeat". Metro. 2010-07-05. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- Phillips, Tom. "World Cup Superfan Larissa Riquelme To Run From The Police Naked If Paraguay Wins". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "Larissa Riquelme: "Gracias a Marca por bautizarme 'novia del mundial'"". Marca. Marca.com. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- "Paraguay can make Larissa Riquelme's dream come true". Game On!. indianews.org.in. 2010-07-03. Archived from the original on July 6, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Model Larissa Riquelme strips naked for Paraguay - as promised". Metro. metro.co.uk. 2010-07-08. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- "Larissa Riquelme assina contrato com a 'Playboy' e será capa de setembro" (in Portuguese). EGO. 2010-07-26. Retrieved 2011-07-17.