Geisy Villanova Arruda (born 12 February 1990 in Diadema, São Paulo, Brazil) is a Brazilian actress and businesswoman who became known while a student at Bandeirante University of São Paulo when her wearing a skirt caused a riot. Her eventual expulsion and readmittance was then followed by her decision to not return to the school.
On October 22, 2009, Arruda, an undergraduate student in Tourism, went to school dressed in a short dress, which caused her to be harassed by some of her fellow students. This caused a backlash based on moral grounds and ended with the student being harassed and verbally attacked within the university. She was forced to leave the school grounds dressed in a jacket and escorted by police who dispersed the crowds with pepper spray. Videos of the incident were uploaded to YouTube causing national repercussions.
After the incident drew considerable national and international attention the actions of the university's students who harassed Arruda were denounced as sexist by the female wing of the Brazilian National Union of Students. The Order of Attorneys of Brazil asked for a public apology by UNIBAN to the student. Senators Valter Pereira and Eduardo Suplicy spoke out against the incident.
On November 7, 2009, the university used paid public announcement to declare that it had expelled Arruda from the university for "disrespecting ethical principles, academic dignity and morality." The university's decision was declared as sexist by the National Union of Students, which said that "the university was living in the caveman era" and believed the actions were very unusual.
On November 9, UNIBAN decided to reverse its decision. Arruda's lawyers nevertheless were unsatisfied citing that she had suffered from seven crimes: abuse, threats, defamation, false imprisonment, obscene acts from fellow students, embarrassment and incitement to crime. That same day, an investigation by the Delegation for the Defense of Women in the municipality of São Bernardo do Campo was commissioned to determine whether there had been libel.
Despite having the expulsion repealed, Arruda decided not to return to her university. This whole incident made her a national celebrity. With her new fame, Arruda appeared on many television shows, posed naked and participated in Carnival.
In 2022 she came out as bisexual.
- ^ a b Turrer, Rodrigo (7 November 2009). "A garota de rosa-choque que provocou tumulto na Uniban". Época (in Brazilian Portuguese). Retrieved 8 August 2021.
- ^ Azzoni, Tales (11 November 2009). "Geisy Arruda Incident: Brazilian University Backs Down Over Mini-Dress Expulsion". The Huffington Post. Associated Press. Archived from the original on 12 November 2009. Retrieved 8 August 2021.
- ^ "UNE classifica como 'violência sexista' hostilização à aluna na Uniban". G1 (in Brazilian Portuguese). 4 November 2009. Retrieved 8 August 2021.
- ^ Agência Senado. "Valter Pereira lamenta constrangimento imposto a aluna da Uniban". Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- ^ "Suplicy aplaude revisão da expulsão de Geisy". Diário do Grande ABC. Archived from the original on 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- ^ a b "Estudante que foi aula de vestido curto expulsa de universidade". O Globo. Retrieved November 7, 2009.
- ^ "Notícia de Geisy correu o mundo com ares de espanto". Blog do Noblat. Retrieved 2009-11-29.
- ^ Imprensa estrangeira mostra surpresa com caso de aluna hostilizada, BBC Brasil
- ^ The New York Times. "Brazil Student Expelled After Wearing Mini-Dress". Retrieved November 8, 2009.
- ^ "Brazilian student expelled for wearing mini-skirt to class". Guardian. London. November 8, 2009. Retrieved November 8, 2009.
- ^ "UNE repudia expulsão de estudante da Uniban e chama universidade de "machista"". Último Segundo. Archived from the original on 2009-11-11. Retrieved November 9, 2009.
- ^ Portal G1. "UNE divulga nota em que repudia expulsão de estudante da Uniban". Retrieved November 9, 2009.
- ^ O Globo. "Uniban revoga decisão de expulsar aluna hostilizada por ir à aula de minissaia". Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- ^ "Aluna hostilizada diz que desistiu da Uniban e fará vestibular no ano que vem". Portal G1. Retrieved 2009-11-26.
- ^ "Fazer a geisy , a mais nova gíria brasileira". Veja São Paulo.
- ^ "Ex-estudante da Uniban estreia na Porto da Pedra". O Globo. Archived from the original on 2009-12-01.
- ^ Neves, Bia (2022-02-17). "Geisy Arruda sobre bissexualidade: "Namorei sério com duas mulheres"". iG (in Brazilian Portuguese). Retrieved 2022-06-17.