Katherine Elizabeth Upton (born June 10, 1992) is an American model and actress. She first appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in 2011, and was the cover model for the 2012, 2013 and 2017 issues. In addition, she was the subject of the 100th-anniversary Vanity Fair cover.
Upton was born in St. Joseph, Michigan. She is the daughter of Shelley (née Davis), a former Texas state tennis champion, and Jeff Upton, a high school athletics director. Her uncle is U.S. Representative Fred Upton. Upton's great-grandfather, Frederick Upton, was co-founder of appliance manufacturer and marketer Whirlpool Corporation.
In 1999, Upton moved with her family to Melbourne, Florida, where she was a student at Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy. As a young equestrian, she showed at the American Paint Horse Association (APHA) and competed at a national level. With her horse Roanie, she won three APHA Reserve World Championships – 13 and Under Western Riding, 13 and Under Horsemanship, and 14–18 Western Riding. She was named the 13 and Under Reserve All-Around Champion, giving her a total of four reserve championships (2nd place). In addition, Upton ended up third overall on the APHA youth Top Twenty. With a second horse, Colby, she won 14–18 Western Riding and was included in the top 5 in 14–18 Horsemanship and 14–18 Western Pleasure in 2009.
Upton first modeled clothing for Garage and Dooney & Bourke. She was the 2010–11 face of Guess. In 2011, Upton appeared in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was featured in the body paint section and named Rookie of the Year for the issue. She has since modeled for Beach Bunny Swimwear, and has appeared in Complex and Esquire as "The Woman of the Summer". Upton wore one of the Beach Bunny suits in the 2014 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
In April 2011, an Internet video of her doing the dougie hip-hop dance at a Los Angeles Clippers game went viral and served to increase her popularity. Guy Trebay of The New York Times observed that this served to illustrate the power of social media to bestow stardom upon a model, which had previously been the domain of top designer runway shows. In April 2012, Upton appeared in a video of herself performing the Cat Daddy dance to the song of the same name by The Rej3ctz, which also went viral.
Upton appeared on the cover of the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, released in February 2012. Upton has also recounted the negative aftereffects of the 2012 Sports Illustrated cover, as she was subjected to criticism and felt she had been objectified.
Upton has appeared in editorials for American, Italian, British, Spanish, German, and Brazilian Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, V, Mademoiselle, LOVE, Italian, German, and American GQ, Cosmopolitan, Glamour, and Esquire. She has appeared on the covers of Italian, American, and British Vogue, French and American Elle, American, Italian, and German GQ, Esquire, and Vanity Fair.
She has appeared in advertising campaigns for David Yurman, Sam Edelman, Betsey Johnson, Guess?, Victoria's Secret, Express, and Bare Necessities. She was named the "new face" of Bobbi Brown cosmetics in 2014.
In 2012, she was ranked the fifth-sexiest model by Models.com She ranked #3 on the American publication of AskMen's Top 99 Women for 2013. In 2012, she was listed on Maxim's Hot 100 list, citing her photo shoots with Sports Illustrated.
Upton was the cover model for the 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue for the second consecutive year. Parts of her 2013 Sports Illustrated pictorial were filmed in Antarctica and Upton suffered from failing hearing and eyesight due to the extreme cold.
After getting the November 2012 Vogue Italia cover photographed by Steven Meisel and the January 2013 Vogue UK cover, Upton landed the June 2013 Vogue cover by Mario Testino. She was then photographed by Annie Leibovitz for the October 2013 100th anniversary cover of Vanity Fair.
In September 2013, Upton was named Model of the Year at the 10th annual Style Awards at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York.
Upton appeared on the flip-side cover of the 2014 50th-anniversary Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, the first time that type of cover was used by that magazine. Part of her shoot took place at Cape Canaveral, capturing her in zero gravity.
In 2014, Upton starred with Tony Hale in Lady Antebellum's music video "Bartender". People named Upton its "Sexiest Woman" for 2014, the first time the title has been awarded. Also in 2014, Upton was the centerpiece of a $40 million advertising campaign for Machine Zone's mobile app Game of War: Fire Age.
In 2017, Upton starred with Alexandra Daddario in The Layover, a road trip sex comedy directed by William H. Macy. The film follows two best friends (Daddario and Upton) on vacation as they fight over the same man during a layover in St. Louis. Also that year, Upton appeared in James Franco's film adaptation The Disaster Artist, about the production of the film The Room.
Upton is Christian and has said that her belief in God is important to her. During a photo shoot, someone joked about a cross necklace she wore, saying, "Why are you wearing a cross? Like you would be religious", then took the necklace from her to do the shoot. Upton stated about the incident: "I was really affected by that. The whole thing made me realize that I do want a cross with me, at all times." As a result, Upton had a cross tattooed on the inside of her finger.
Upton started dating then Detroit Tigers baseball player Justin Verlander in early 2014, and they were engaged in 2016. On November 4, 2017 the couple married in Tuscany, Italy. They have a daughter, Genevieve, born on November 7, 2018.
|2011||Tower Heist||Mr. Hightower's Mistress||Cameo|
|2012||The Three Stooges||Sister Bernice|
|2014||The Other Woman||Amber|
|2017||The Disaster Artist||Herself||Scenes deleted|
|2019||Adult Interference||Talia||Previously known as Wild Man, shot in 2017|
|2011||Tosh.0||Herself||Episode: "Bug in Mouth Reporter"|
|2012||Sports Illustrated: The Making of Swimsuit 2012||TV special; dated February 14|
|2012||Saturday Night Live||Episode: "Maya Rudolph/Sleigh Bells"|
|2012||GTTV Presents MLB 2K12: The Perfect Club||Episode dated May 24|
|2016||Barely Famous||Episode: "Love & Upton"|
|2017||Lip Sync Battle||Episode: "Ricky Martin vs. Kate Upton"|
|2017||Project Runway||Herself / Guest Judge||Episode: "A "Little" Avant Garde"|
|2018||RuPaul's Drag Race||Episodes: "DragCon Panel Extravaganza", "Snatch Game"|
|2018||Robot Chicken||Unsinkable Molly Brown / Blonde Girl||Episode: "Your Mouth Is Hanging off Your Face"|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Female Hottie||Herself||Nominated|
|2013||Style Awards||Model of the Year||Won|
|2014||People Magazine Awards||People's Sexiest Woman||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie: Chemistry (shared with Cameron Diaz and Leslie Mann)||The Other Woman||Nominated|
|Young Hollywood Awards||Coolest Crossover Artist||Herself||Nominated|
|Hottest Body (of Work)||Nominated|
|2015||MTV Movie & TV Awards||Best Shirtless Performance||The Other Woman||Nominated|
- "Kate Upton Profile". Fashion Model Directory. Archived from the original on January 19, 2016. Retrieved February 26, 2011.
- "Voguepedia: Kate Upton". Vogue.com. Archived from the original on August 4, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- Rahman, Ray (June 7, 2013). "Monitor". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "Upton new Niles AD". leaderpub.com. July 5, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Snead, Elizabeth (October 19, 2012). "'Vogue' Declares Kate Upton 'The New Girl' In November Issue". HollywoodReporter.com. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- Sullivan, Robert (October 18, 2012). "The New Girl: Kate Upton". Archived from the original on August 22, 2014. Retrieved January 12, 2013.
- "Humphrysfamilytree.com" (PDF). Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "Sports Illustrated Model is Fred Upton's Niece". Politico.com, March 3, 2011
- Warren, Michael (July 30, 2012). "Meet Kate Upton’s Uncle: How a moderate Republican retooled for the Tea Party era". vol. 17, NO. 43 Weekly Standard
- "In which we learn that Kate Upton's great grandfather invented the washing machine, and paid vacations". NBC Sports. February 13, 2012. Archived from the original on February 15, 2012. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton featured on cover of Sports Illustrated". Florida Today. February 13, 2012. Archived from the original on February 17, 2012.
- "Melbourne's Kate Upton on cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue". Central Florida 13 News. February 14, 2012. Archived from the original on October 1, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2012.
- Rovell, Darren (April 12, 2011). "Catching Up With Model Kate Upton". CNBC. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Rense, Sarah; Gondelman, Josh; Upton, Kate (September 22, 2017). "Kate Upton Doesn't Like Her Wikipedia Page Photo" (Includes video). Esquire.
- Bevis, Brittany (June 1, 2010). "Alpha youth exhibitor finds success as international fashion model". Equine Chronicle. Archived from the original on June 23, 2011. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "Kate Upton". Ca.askmen.com. Archived from the original on May 18, 2011. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- chandoo (February 25, 2011). "Kate Upton Guess Spring Collection 2011". MagXone. Retrieved March 6, 2012.
- "B&C Morning Show: SI Swimsuit Model Kate Upton With Boomer & Carton". CBS Radio. May 25, 2011. Archived from the original on September 9, 2015. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Beach Bunny Swimwear Supermodels Irina Shayk and Kate Upton Land the Cover of the 2011 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue" (Press release). Los Angeles, CA: PRWeb. February 2011.
- "Kate Upton is milking cows for Complex". FHM. Archived from the original on September 25, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- "Kate Upton: The "Hot Complex" Gallery, Interview & Video". Complex. Retrieved August 5, 2011.
- Sullivan, Matt (June 17, 2011). "Kate Upton Is The Woman of Summer 2011". Esquire. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "This tribute video to Kate Upton in bikinis is truly glorious". Guyism. February 26, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- "Kate Upton Does The Dougie At A Clippers Game", Total Pro Sports. Retrieved June 16, 2011.
- "Kate Upton, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model, Does 'The Dougie'". The Huffington Post. April 5, 2011.
- Trebay, Guy (February 13, 2012). "Model Struts Path to Stardom Not on Runway, but on YouTube". The New York Times.
- Matt Donnelly (May 3, 2012). "Kate Upton: 3 days in the life of the 'cat daddy' video scandal". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- Tosh, Daniel. "Knife or Banana". Tosh.0. Archived from the original on June 11, 2011. Retrieved June 13, 2011.
- "Celebrities Take To The Field For All-Star Softball Game", The Huffington Post, July 11, 2011.
- "Clip from Tower Heist". Viewclips.net. Retrieved March 10, 2012.
- "Kate Upton as a Nun". December 7, 2011. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2011.
- Finn, Natalie. "Top-Secret Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Leaks Early—Smile, Kate Upton!". E!. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- Hendrix, Kelsey (June 10, 2015). "Celebrate Kate Upton's birthday with 23 of her hottest SI Swimsuit shots!". Sports Illustrated. Archived from the original on January 23, 2016. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- Koonse, Emma (August 8, 2013). "Kate Upton Boyfriend Rumors Slammed, Model Talks Religion: 'I Want A Cross With Me'". The Christian Post.
- Achara, Esther Adams (March 21, 2014). "Kate Upton Is The New Face of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics". Vogue. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "Top Sexiest Models". Models.com. Retrieved February 18, 2013.
- "#3 Kate Upton". AskMen. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- "2012 Hot 100: Kate Upton". Maxim. April 27, 2012. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved January 27, 2013.
- Finn, Natalie (February 9, 2013). "Kate Upton Revealed as 2013 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Cover Girl". E!. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Sauers, Jenna (February 22, 2013). "Kate Upton Continues to Discuss How Antarctica Practically Killed Her". Jezebel. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Chan, Amanda L. (February 13, 2013). "Frostbite Plagued Kate Upton After Sports Illustrated Photoshoot -- Why Is It Dangerous?". The Huffington Post. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (October 29, 2012). "Kate Upton Vogue Italia Cover Is Model's First (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Krupnick, Ellie (December 6, 2012). "Kate Upton Scores Vogue UK Cover For January 2013 (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Adams, Rebecca (May 10, 2013). "Kate Upton Vogue Cover Labels Blonde 'Hottest Supermodel On Earth' (PHOTO)". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- "Introducing Vanity Fair's 100th Anniversary Issue, Featuring Cover Model Kate Upton". Vanity Fair. September 3, 2013. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Saad, Nardine (February 18, 2014). "Surprise! Kate Upton lands Sports Illustrated Swimsuit flip cover". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Kate Upton Goes Zero-G for Sports Illustrated's 2014 Swimsuit Issue".
- Sanchez, Josh (February 18, 2014). "Kate Upton does shoot in zero gravity chamber for 2014 SI Swimsuit Issue (Video)". Upsided. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Nardine Saad (April 24, 2014). "Huh? 'The Other Woman' bikini scene made Kate Upton uncomfortable". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Amanda Dobbins (April 25, 2014). "Read Every Line Kate Upton Says in The Other Woman". Vulture. Retrieved May 23, 2014.
- Betts, Stephen L. (June 19, 2014). "Kate Upton, Tony Hale Toast Lady Antebellum in 'Bartender' Video". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Lee, Ashley (June 19, 2014). "Kate Upton, Tony Hale Duel Over Drinks in Lady Antebellum's 'Bartender' Video: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved November 13, 2014.
- Schwartz, Alison. "2014 People Magazine Awards". People. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- Monllos, Kristina (November 13, 2014). "Game of War: Fire Age Launches First Global Campaign, Starring Kate Upton". Adweek. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Tassi, Paul (November 16, 2014). "A $40M Ad Budget Buys 'Game of War: Fire Age' Kate Upton". Fortune. Retrieved December 29, 2014.
- Dave McNary (May 8, 2015). "Alexandra Daddario Joins Kate Upton in Comedy 'The Layover'". Variety. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- Ford, Rebecca (December 7, 2015). "Kate Upton Joins James Franco's 'The Disaster Artist' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- "Kate Upton: 'I'm not a toy ... not here to be used". MSN. 2013. Archived from the original on August 15, 2013. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Yahr, Emily (August 31, 2014). "Racy Jennifer Lawrence photos surface, sparking Internet frenzy amid reports of massive celebrity-photo leak". Washington Post. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "Hacker of Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton nude pics pleads guilty". NBC News. Reuters. September 28, 2016. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Apatoff, Alex (November 2, 2017). "Kate Upton and Justin Verlander Are Getting Married This Weekend". People.
- Bieler, Des (November 3, 2017). "Justin Verlander and Kate Upton reportedly getting married right after World Series". Washington PPST. Retrieved November 3, 2017 – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- Marcus, Emily (November 4, 2017). "Kate Upton and Justin Verlander Marry in Italy: Details! ". US Weekly.
- Maslow, Nick (November 10, 2018). "Kate Upton Gives Birth to First Child, Daughter Genevieve — See Her First Photos!". People.com. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "Kate Upton's Secret Trick for Being a Super Dog Mom". People. May 19, 2017. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Kornelis, Chris (February 26, 2019). "Supermodel Kate Upton on the Best Way to Stalk Your Baby". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "Kate Upton". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- "Shania Twain, "Broad City" Stars And More Join The Judges' Panel On "Drag Race" Season 10".
Kate Upton (nacida el 10 de junio de 1992 en St. Joseph, Míchigan) es una modelo estadounidense conocida por su aparición en Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue 2011. Durante el lanzamiento en Las Vegas, Kate fue nombrada ‘Novata del Año’.
También fue el rostro desde 2010 a 2011 de Guess? y ha modelado para Beach Bunny
Kate Upton nació en St. Joseph (Míchigan) y se crió en Melbourne (Florida). Tiene tres hermanos y hermanas. Además su tío es Fred Upton, congresista del 6º distrito del Congreso de Michigan.
Como amazona, Kate Upton participó en la “American Paint Horse Association”, compitiendo a nivel nacional. Con su caballo Roanie Pony, ganó en diversas categorías de edad numerosos campeonatos organizados por la APHA, hasta un total de cinco. Además, Upton acabó tercera en la clasificación global del Top 20 Juvenil de la APHA. Con un segundo caballo, Zipped, siguió obteniendo más éxitos, acabando en el Top 5 de “14–18 Horsemanship y 14–18 Western Pleasure” de 2009.
En 2008, Kate Upton acudió a un casting en Miami para la “Elite Model Management”, siendo contratada ese mismo día. Por otra parte, se desplazó a la ciudad de Nueva York, dónde firmó con “IMG Models”.
Kate Upton hizo sus primeros trabajos de modelo para “Garage” y luego con “Dooney & Bourke”. En la temporada 2010-11 es la imagen de Guess. En 2011, Kate Upton aparece en el “Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue”. Apareció en la sección de pintura corporal, siendo además nombrada Novata del Año. Desde ese momento, ha trabajado como modelo para “Trajes de baño Beach Bunny” y “Victoria’s Secret”. Por otra parte ha aparecido en “Complex” y “Esquire” como La Chica del Verano.
En Abril de 2011, un video de internet en el que aparece haciendo el “Dougie” en un partido de Los Angeles Clippers conoció una gran difusión, lo cual contribuyó a aumentar su popularidad.
Kate Upton hizo una aparición en Junio de 2011 en un episodio de la serie “Tosh.0”, participando en un espacio llamado “Cuchillo o Banana”, emulando a un juego televisivo japonés, dónde ella es apuñalada con una banana.
En Julio de 2011, Kate Upton jugó en el “2011 Taco Bell All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game” en el Chase Field de Phoenix, Arizona.
El debut de Kate Upton como actriz fue en la película “Un golpe de altura”, como la amante de Mr. Hightower’s.